Safe Pass is a safety awareness training programme for people who work in construction field. The programme allows them to work on construction sites without any mishappenings or accidents. Safecard gives the provision for employers to ensure that workers are aware of how to be safe during their work. The basic aim of the programme is to raise the standard of safety awareness in the construction industry. The construction workers after completing the one day awareness programme can make a positive contribution to the prevention of accidents and ill health while working on the site.
Who all are supposed to have undergone this training ?
- Workers in the construction site
- Apprentices or Trainees in the site
- On-site security workers
- Drivers in the construction site
- Contractors on site
What is the aim of Safety pass programme ?
- Raise the standard of safety awareness in the construction industry;
- Ensure that, over time, all site personnel undergo basic health and safety awareness training to enable them to work on-site .
- Maintain a Register of personnel who have undertaken the Safe Pass Programme;
- Issue a Safe Pass Registration Card to those who successfully complete the programme which informs employers that the card holder has attended a formal course in health and safety awareness.
What all documents should we have while joining safe pass course ?
- Personal Public Service Number
- Valid Photo ID ( Passport or Driver’s License would be fine )
- A Passport sized photo
- Basic level of knowledge in English
Who is responsible for the payment ?
The payment of the safe pass course is usually made by the employer . According to section 10,25 & 26 of Safety, Health & Welfare at Work Act, 2005 it is the responsibility of the employer to give time off for employees for joining the awareness program and to pay on behalf of the employees.If a student or a job seeker wants to apply for a job on a construction site for seasonal work they must have the Safe Pass Card. In this instance they would have to pay for it themselves before they are employed.
What more about Safe pass card ?
The validity of the Safe pass card should be for four years. Once the validity of the card is expired the employee is supposed to attend a safe pass course to update their training and thereby extending the validity of the card. Once the course is completed the authorities will issue the new Safe pass registration card.